The British High Commission in Nairobi is responsible for developing and maintaining relations between the UK and Kenya.

Black Line Break 660X3px

Urgent assistance

If you are in Kenya and you urgently need consular assistance (e.g. if you have been attacked, arrested or there has been a death), call +254 (0)20 287 3000/+254 (0)20 2844 000. If you are in the UK and concerned about a British national in Kenya, contact the British high commission on 020 7008 1500.


Get or renew a passport or get an emergency travel document

The British High Commission cannot help with passport enquiries. Contact Her Majesty’s Passport Office if you need help:

If you cannot get a new or replacement passport in time to travel, you may be able to get an emergency travel document:

You can apply for an emergency travel document if you are abroad and your passport has been lost or stolen, damaged or expired, and you cannot get a new or replacement passport in time to travel. If you are due to travel in the next 24 hours, contact the British High Commission as soon as possible.

Apply online for an emergency travel document if you:

  • are over 16 years old and

  • are a British citizen and

  • have previously owned a British passport

Contact the British High Commission to apply for an emergency travel document if you are:

  • over 16 years old but have not owned a British passport before or

  • not a British citizen or

  • applying for a child under 16 years old

Once you have contacted the British High Commission, you will be advised to make an appointment to apply for an emergency travel document at the British High Commission Nairobi.


Get a visa

The British High Commission cannot help with visa enquiries.

If you are not a British national, you may need a visa to travel to the UK. You can check if you need a UK Visa here:

If you are a British national travelling abroad and need to apply for a visa to visit a particular country or check if you need a visa, see the entry requirements on the British high commission's foreign travel advice for the country you want to visit here:

For more information on visas, see:


Notarial and documentary services

For legal reasons, the British High Commission are unable to carry out notarial acts in Commonwealth countries. This includes certifying documents as true copies of originals, administering oaths or taking affidavits. For these or other notarial acts, you should contact a local notary here:

The British High Commission offer a limited range of documentary services, including administering oaths for UK Visa and Immigration nationality applications, letter of no objection for those adopting from overseas, and making a search in the naturalisation, registration or renunciation records held by a consular officer. See the list of documentary services the British High Commission provide here:


Legalisation services

The British High Commission Nairobi does not provide legalisation services.

Ask the UK Government to get a UK document legalised (certified as genuine), see here:


Local service providers

Use the British High Commission lists of local suppliers and services if you need help in Kenya. Please note that inclusion in these lists does not constitute official endorsement by the British High Commission or the UK Government.


How else the British High Commission can help

In addition to the services listed above the British High Commission can also:

  • provide information about transferring funds

  • provide appropriate help if you have suffered rape or serious assault, are a victim of other crime, or are in hospital

  • help people with mental illness

  • offer support and help in a range of other cases, such as child abductions, missing peopleand kidnapping

  • contact family or friends for you if you want

  • make special arrangements in cases of terrorism, civil disturbances or natural disasters or other crises abroad

For more information on the services the British High Commission can provide, see the  'Support for British nationals abroad: A guide' here:

For general information on living in or planning to live in Kenya, see living in Kenya:


Consular fees

The British High Commission charge fees for some of our services. See the full list of consular fees in Kenya here:

Contact Form